Saturday, 4 October 2014

DIY: Pearl Perfection


I'm an aspiring fashion designer and anyone who loves fashion that much is pretty much guilty of doing things like buying an item of clothing out of pity then getting home and giving it new life in some way. I tend to do that with my old clothes too... A lot, so much that my mom complains and threatens not to buy me clothes for a while because I become a fashion monster when I'm bored and armed with my box of sewing essentials.

About a year and a half ago, I was helping my mom clean out her closet because it was overflowing (I'm still jealous of that cause my closet is so empty, I believe). I found this knitted top that I instantly fell in love with. I'd often ask to borrow it so I could wear it with things like leggings or skinnies but I eventually kept it in my room because I borrowed it THAT OFTEN and I guess my mom got tired of hearing me ask for it all the time. I noticed recently that I hadn't worn it in a while. I get bored easily with a lot of things and I love change. I guess I got bored with the fact that there was only so much I could really wear this slightly oversized knitted top with since it was so plain. I got my scissors, thread and needle and I found a necklace and inspiration hit me.

I love to DIY because it makes me happy inside. I'm that kid who looked forward to art class in school, especially when we were doing practicals or presentations (I'm left handed. Creativity's our thing, naturally). I spent about a week wondering whether or not I should crop the top slightly and I decided not to since it's wool and there are a whole bunch of complications that come with altering knit wear (although I might just end up cropping it in the future).

Before attempting to DIY, I love to sketch to see how the item would look in a certain way. I also have a habit of pinning clothes, especially when I plan on cutting them, just to see how they'd really look on me (in reality) if I did cut them. If I like the sketches and the real-life image I get, I go for it. Be daring and different, but also be smart. When cutting clothes, be sure that your scissors are sharp enough and that your lines are straight. Also, cut below your desired length so that you can always have space to snip if you make a mistake. The last thing you want to do is mess up a lovely item of clothing. Also, do your research if you plan on snipping knitted items and you've never done it before. Go with your gut too. If it screams 'NO!', put those scissors down and find alternative ways to dress up in that item.





I personally think my top's still cute regardless of the fact that I didn't crop it, and I have that pearl necklace to thank.

Accessories- Mr Price

No comments:

Post a Comment